I’ve built websites since the time of dial up modems. My first website collected stories, links, and information about UFOs and Alien Encounters, which is a theme I’m addressing in my NORD project that collects and analyzes first person accounts of dreams, meditations, non-ordinary experiences.
I’ve learned a lot since then, but I haven’t lost my fascination with the power and creativity of the web, which I apply everyday to my freelance web projects. I typically work on a few types of projects:
- Full Stack Engineering for Early to Mid Stage Startups
- Interactive Data Visualization
- Web Presences for Individuals, Small Business, and Organizations
NORD is the reason I got into software engineering. Its mission is to be an Open Data Commons that collects narrative reports of psycho-spiritual experiences like dream journals. It envisions a Citizen Science of the Collective Unconscious.
NORD is built with many technologies including:
- WordPress and Buddypress for social features and dream journals
- React for search and data visualization features
- Serverless Framework in AWS with Node.js and Python for text analysis
- ElasticSearch for search index and statistical aggregations
React and d3 data visualization of the demographics of the US Federal Judiciary commissioned by news start-up. Client subsequently hired me to architect news platform (WordPress backend) and develop front end (React.js/Next.js).
Developed landing page, client dashboard, and payment processor for SaaS using Vue.js, Serverless Framework in AWS, GraphQL, and Cognito. Client subsequently hired me to develop analytics tracking for platform with client reports and to refactor core code into Vue.js.
Additional Work History
- Lead Developer at Community Attributes, Inc. Focus on interactive data visualization, mapping, and content management using d3.js, arcgis.js, leaflet.js, WordPress, django and python, and .net and c#.
To learn more about my history, check out my resume
I use an iterative development process, which means I deliver code you can use at every milestone. My process generally includes:
- Initial consultation, which is a free and no-commitment meeting where we discuss your needs and goals, from which I’ll provide a rough estimate of project budge and timeline
- Definition of requirements, in which we define what needs to be built and how we’ll measure its success
- Scope of work and feature road-map, in which we sketch out all major features of the project and I produce a budget estimate
- Design and content planning, in which we establish design specifications and a plan for content
- Iterative development cycles, in which I build a set of features that we review to guide future development work
- Analytics and monitoring, in which I set up analytics to monitor our quantitative goals for the site
- Deployment, documentation, and training, in which we launch the site, I provide support, training, and documentation for your new system